Monday, October 5, 2009

How to Succeed with Shortcuts - Current Events

There is, I think, an essential difference of character in mankind, between those who wish to do, and those who wish to have certain things.

I observe persons expressing a great desire to possess fine horses, hounds, dress, equipage, etc, and an envy of those who have them.

I myself have no such feeling, nor the least ambition to shine, except by doing something better than others. I have the love of power, but not of property. I should like to be able to outstrip a greyhound in speed; but I should be ashamed to take any merit to myself from possessing the fleetest greyhound in the world.

I cannot transfer my personal identity from myself to what I merely call mine.
The generality of mankind are contented to be estimated by what they possess, instead of what they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment